At the Vancouver Centre for Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, we see plenty of patients with different dental needs. No two situations are alike as everyone has a unique history. When problems like cavities or fractures are caught early, your dentist can perform simple procedures that can save your teeth from further decay, failure or tooth loss.
Getting a dental crown is one way that your dentist can save a tooth that might otherwise be impossible to fix, sparing you a future tooth extraction. Our goal is to always offer you the simplest and most effective treatment with the best cost savings to you. Dental crowns are an affordable alternative to other tooth restoration procedures like dental implants, bridges or dentures.
The Cost Of Dental Crowns In Vancouver
Dental crowns can cost between ~$1000 to $2400 per tooth in Vancouver, BC. This fluctuation in price is due to several reasons: prosthodontist (specialist) fees are more than at a general dentist, overheads and hence fees may vary slightly among many offices, dentists with many years of experience may have slightly higher fees, the different materials that you can choose for the crown, and even the lab fees will vary among different labs. The crowns are created in a lab after your dentist makes an accurate mold of your teeth. Insurance usually covers about half of the price. Before you get crowns, check your policy to see if this procedure is covered and ask your dentist for an estimate of all costs and coverages so that you can be fully prepared for the expenses.
These are a great investment because the typical crown can last up to a decade or more with proper care. Many crowns will last 20-25 years and the longest lasting crowns that I have seen were 46 years old and still functioning perfectly well! If you treat them with care and brush and floss daily, watching your diet…. you can keep them looking great for many years.
Fitting A Crown
Fitting a crown takes at least two visits. The first step involves removing any tooth decay and shaping the tooth. Then, your dentist will take an imprint /mould and send it to the lab where the crown will be made out of one of several materials, which can be porcelain, a porcelain-metal mix, composite resin, or 100% metal. In the interim you will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect the tooth and so you can continue your day-to-day life normally until your next visit.
On the second visit, your temporary crown will be removed and your dentist will adjust and fit the permanent crown. When the crown is cemented into place, you will have a fully functional and restored tooth that looks identical to your original tooth.
Why Crowns Are Worth The Cost
If you’ve been considering the costs of dental crowns in Vancouver, here are a few reasons why we think it’s worth the investment –
- They eliminate pain: Teeth that become worn down over time can cause pain and sensitivity when you bite down on hot, cold, or sweet foods. Cracked teeth also involve their own type of discomfort. A dental crown can protect your tooth from feeling sensitive and protect you from feeling pain involved with fractured teeth.
- They prevent more expensive procedures: Cracked, fractured, and worn down teeth can invite bacteria and germs into the inside of your tooth. This can lead to tooth decay, infections and potential loss leading to dentures, bridges, and/or dental implants. By sealing fractures and resolving small problems early, you can save your teeth and spend less on crowns compared to other types of tooth replacement procedures.
- They have a cosmetic function: Crowns aren’t just good at fixing common dental problems – they can conceal irreversible stains and smooth out chips and cracks as well.
- They can hold a broken tooth together and save fillings: Broken teeth left alone may lead to decay and tooth loss, but a dental crown can prevent the tooth from imminent failure. The same goes for teeth with fillings that are extremely large or starting to lose their function.
- They can save primary teeth: Baby teeth are very important not only for function but also to maintain the space for the developing permanent teeth. Unfortunately many times baby teeth are so heavily decayed that fillings will not last for even the few ~3-8 years needed before the second teeth come in. Crowns can save your child’s “milk teeth” for as long as possible in these cases and when they are at a high risk of decay. This will help your child eat normally until their adult set of teeth come in.
The Cost of Dental Crowns in Vancouver, BC
At Vancouver Centre for Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, we’re passionate about getting people have the best teeth possible. To find out the cost of dental crowns for your unique teeth, schedule a consultation with us today by calling (604) 434-0248.